Published in ESRS Newsletter December 2018
The ESADA network has had a productive and successful year 2018. A number of topics listed below are hopefully of interest for ESRS members and the scientific community engaged in sleep apnea management and research.
I. Publications from the ESADA study group 2018
- Fixed But Not Autoadjusting Positive Airway Pressure Attenuates the Time-dependent Decline in Glomerular Filtration Rate in Patients With OSA. Marrone O, Cibella F, Pépin JL, Grote L, Verbraecken J, Saaresranta T, Kvamme JA, Basoglu OK, Lombardi C, McNicholas WT, Hedner J, Bonsignore MR; ESADA Network. Chest. 2018.
- Change in weight and central obesity by positive airway pressure treatment in obstructive sleep apnea patients: longitudinal data from the ESADA cohort. Basoglu OK, Zou D, Tasbakan MS, Hedner J, Ryan S, Verbraecken J, Escourrou P, Antalainen U, Kvamme JA, Bonsignore MR, Schiza S, Grote L; ESADA Study Group. J Sleep Res. 2018
- Clinical presentation of patients with suspected OSA and self-reported physician-diagnosed asthma in the ESADA cohort. Maria R. Bonsignore, Jean-Louis Pepin, Ulla Anttalainen, Sophia E. Schiza, Ozen K. Basoglu, Athanasia Pataka, Paschalis Steiropoulos, Zoran Dogas, Ludger Grote, Jan Hedner, Walter T. McNicholas, Oreste Marrone. J Sleep Research 2018.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea independently predicts lipid levels: Data from the European Sleep Apnea Database (ESADA). Canan Gunduz, Ozen K. Basoglu, Jan Hedner, Ding Zou, Maria R Bonsignore, Holger Hein, Richard Staats, Athanasia Pataka, Ferran Barbe, Pavel Sliwinski, Brian D. Kent, Jean Lois Pepin, Ludger Grote : Respirology 2018.
- Use of the Clinical Global Impression Scale in Sleep Apnea Patients – Results from the ESADA Database. Marijke Dieltjens, Johan A. Verbraecken, Jan Hedner, Olivier M. Vanderveken, Paschalis Steiropoulos, John A. Kvamme, Tarja Saaresranta, Ruzena Tkacova, Oreste Marrone, Zoran Dogas, Sofia Schiza, Ludger Grote.Sleep Medicine 2018 (in press).
- Insomnia symptoms combined with nocturnal hypoxia associate with cardiovascular comorbidity in the European sleep apnoea cohort (ESADA). Ulla Anttalainen, Ludger Grote; Ingo Fietze; Renata Riha; Silke Ryan; Richard Staats; Jan Hedner; Tarja Saaresranta. Sleep and Breathing 2018 (in press).
- The European Sleep Apnoea Database ESADA: ERS Clinical Research Collaboration: past, present and future. Bonsignore MR, Hedner J. Eur Respir J. 2018.
II. ESADA Scientific Workshop Meeting on “Big data in OSA”
Palermo, Italy; July 6-7, 2018
A two-day meeting has been organized in Palermo by the ERS Clinical Research Collaboration: European Sleep Apnea DAtabase (ESADA) consortium, to address the topic of “Big Data in Obstructive Sleep Apnea”. We agreed on policies and common scientific projects for merging sleep apnea cohorts and databases from FRANCE, ITALY, GERMANY, SWEDEN, GREECE, BELGIUM and ROMANIA. We expect from this European dataset of more than 150,000 OSA patients a gain in knowledge regarding clusters of phenotypes, regional and gender variations and impact of environmental factors. Artificial intelligence will be used for developing predictive algorithms of treatment responses and in particular CPAP adherence. Expected original results and building such a network will provide a strong rationale for future application to European projects (H2020), industrial collaborations, and design of large scale randomized controlled trials, beside improvements in personalized OSA care.
Maria R Bonsignore and Oreste Marrone, Palermo, Italy
Jan Hedner, Gothenburg, Sweden
Ludger Grote, Gothenburg, Sweden
Jean-Louis Pepin, Grenoble, France
Sebastien Bailly, Grenoble, France
Stefan Mihaicuta, Timisoara, Romania
Sofia Schiza, Crete, Greece
Frederick Gagnadoux, Angers, France
Thomas Penzel, Berlin, Germany
Johan Verbraecken, Antwerp, Belgium
Gianfranco Parati, Milan, Italy
Tarja Saaresranta, Turku, Finland (Skype)
George Vavougios, Larissa, Greece, (Skype)