Job Offer: Education Manager
@ European Sleep Research Society – ESRS
Location: Regensburg, Germany / Remote work
Deadline: 30 November 2023
The European Sleep Research Society (ESRS) is an international, scientific non-profit membership association that aims to:
- promote all aspects of sleep research and sleep medicine
- improve the care for patients with sleep disorders
- facilitate the dissemination of information regarding sleep research and sleep medicine
In order to fulfil this mission, we:
- publish the Journal of Sleep Research (JSR) and the Sleep Medicine Textbook
- organize scientific meetings and events, including our biennial Sleep Europe Congress
- promote training and education to facilitate continuous learning
- issue fellowships, grants and awards to support various activities
The ESRS professional staff is growing with the addition of this newly created position.
You should be a highly motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit, who is not afraid to jump in head first. We’re looking for an individual with experience in the non-profit sector, in particular working with medical or scientific associations and in the best-case scenario, someone who has held the title of Education Coordinator, Education Manager, Education Specialist or something similar. Experience in publishing and professional education is preferred.
The Education Manager will provide project management and administration of all assigned ESRS Educational programmes, products and activities. You will work with existing staff members to establish an education department and, using a step wise system, take over ownership of appropriate education projects related to the society and its educational activities. While this is a part time position for the first year, there is high potential for it to be a full time position after one year.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Serves as staff liaison to the Education Committee and its Sub-committees as assigned.
- Support the Chief Editors in creating and publishing the 3rd edition of the Sleep Medicine Textbook.
- Support additional tasks related to publishing educational materials in print and virtually as determined by the relevant Task Forces.
- Administratively support the Examination Sub-committee, work together with the current examination coordinator for 2024, and take the lead and responsibility for the society examination starting in 2025 which will minimally include the following tasks,
- Administer the application process including controlling for completeness and authenticity of application materials,
- Coordinate with the Education Sub-Committee to prepare examination questions, print and ship exam books, work with virtual service provider, organise proctors, organise a physical location for the examination if appropriate.
- Trouble shoot with examinees
- Ensure compliance with examination regulations and procedures as well as strict confidentiality of examination materials
- Maintain a secure database of questions and evaluations.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of the scientific programme for society congresses and other continuing education.
- Provide on-site support at the annual meeting and other live programmes as needed. Including coordination of faculty assignments, staffing of the society booth, liaison with local service providers, supporting the faculty ready room, etc.
- Develop and maintain the content of the website related to ESRS educational activities.
- Support the Sleep Science School and basic sleep science education
- Provide strategic advice on future educational projects, especially related to virtual learning.
- Contribute to the development of reports and recommendations for ESRS Board regarding development of an educational strategy and roadmap.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Special projects as assigned.
You will be part of a small team that keeps the society running and supports volunteers to execute the mission of the ESRS. At times, you will be expected to work autonomously, sometimes you will need to manage other staff members and sometimes you will need to support another position or function. The ESRS is in a phase of high growth and needs someone who can bring an entrepreneurial attitude to build the Education department up to support this growth.
The Education Manager will report to the ESRS Executive Manager and the ESRS Board.
- Minimum education, Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or 4+ years association experience.
- Minimum three years program/project management or program production experience.
- Experience in medical education environment, either with an association or other medical education provider
- Able to prioritise and manage assignments, respond quickly and completely to inquiries, manage multiple assignments and deadlines at the same time.
- Collaborative, solution-oriented approach to work.
- Excellent organisational, analytical and project management skills.
- Demonstrates a creative, pro-active, self-directed approach to projects and solution finding.
- English native speaker or minimum C1 level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and MS Teams.
- Familiar with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and compliant data handling.
- Applicants must have permission to work in Germany.
An ideal candidate will also have one or more of the below:
- Familiarity with continuing medical education and professional development standards and examinations.
- Successful experience working in a remote team.
- Experience with publishing/selling a textbook.
- Interest in European sleep science, medicine and research.
- Business level German language proficiency.
We Offer Flexible Working Conditions:
The ESRS has a physical office in Regensburg, Germany and we would like to have someone who can regularly work from the office. Alternatively, for the right candidate, this position can be fully remote.
This position is initially set as a part time 70% basis for 2023. We anticipate the role increasing to 100% by latest 1 January 2025 and would work with the individual selected to determine a step wise approach to this transition over the next 2 years based on work load and availability.
ESRS offers 30 days of vacation time and a salary based on qualifications and local standards.
Applications including a CV and cover letter in English are to be sent in PDF format by email to Jennifer Thomsen (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please use “Education Manager” in the subject of your message. Printed applications will not be accepted or returned.
Applications will be accepted via email until 30 November 2023. An interview process with selected applicants will follow after the closing date.