The clinical sleep-wake-centre Inselspital is a tertiary multidisciplinary sleep centre with close co-operation between neurology, pneumology and psychiatry. The main clinical research area is narcolepsy and other hypersomnias, driving capability in sleepy subjects, parasomnia & nocturnal seizures, restless legs syndrome and sleep apnoea syndrome.
narcolepsy, restless legs syndrome, sleep apnoea syndrome, motor vehicle accidents, excessive daytime sleepiness, nonorganic hypersomnia, parasomnia and epilepsy in sleep
1. U. S. Herrmann, C. W. Hess, A. G. Guggisberg, C. Roth, M. Gugger, and J. Mathis. Sleepiness is not always perceived before falling asleep in healthy, sleep-deprived subjects. Sleep Med 11 (8):747-751, 2010.
2. F. Gradinger, A. Glässel, M. Gugger, A. Cieza, N. Braun, R. Khatami, A. Stucki, W.Schmitt, J. Mathis. Identification of problems in functioning of persons with sleep disorders in a clinical setting using the International Classification of Functioning Disability and Health (ICF): a cross-sectional study. J. Sleep Res. 2010 Sept. 30; doi:10.1111/j. 1365-2869.2010.00888.
3. C. Rummel, H. Gast, K. Schindler, M. Müller, F. Amor, Ch. W. Hess, J. Mathis, Periodic leg movement during sleep – Detecting hidden periodicities and data-driven group formation. Frontiers in Neuroscience 4:1-14, 2010
4. H.M Vu , C. Hurni, J. Mathis, C.Roth, C.L. Bassetti. Selective REM sleep deprivation in narcolepsy. J.Sleep Res. 20: 50-56 (2011).
5. A.G.Guggisberg, Ch.W.Hess, J.Mathis. The significance of the sympathetic nervous system in the pathophysiology of periodic leg movements in sleep. Sleep 30: 755-766, 2007.
6. J.Zavodny, C.Roth, C.Bassetti, J.Mathis, N.J.Douglas, M.Gugger. Effects of sleep fragmentation on the arousability to resistive loading in NREM and REM sleep in normal men. Sleep 29: 525-532, 2006.