- Pharmacology Human
- Learning, Memory, Cognition
- Sleep and Medical Disorders
- Sleep and Body Functions (Cardio-Respiratory, Thermoregulation/Metabolism, Endocrine)
- Sleep Physiology-Neurophysiology in Human
- Molecular Biology-Endocrinology-Biochemistry
Visiting Scientist Professor Bill Schwartz will join us in June 2019 – further detail on the dates of his lectures and classes for undergraduates and postgraduates coming soon!
Over the last few years we have studied the pathophysiology and the management of circadian and sleep disorders in patients with liver disease. We are currently using our experience with the liver as a model, and applying it to other, specific areas of medicine both in the outpatient and inpatient setting.
We have utilised/developed:
– Standard and patient-directed, specific questionnaires
– Wake and sleep EEG
– Continuous, high-resolution temperature monitoring
– Models for the induction or simulation of hepatic and other metabolic encephalopaties.
Additional Descriptors, Keywords
sleep, genetics of sleep, pharmacology of sleep, parasomnias, narcolepsy, hypersomnias, apnoea, history of sleep, epilepsy
Key Publications of the Laboratory:1. Formentin C, De Rui M, Zoncapè M, Ceccato S, Zarantonello L, Senzolo M, Burra P, Angeli P, Amodio P, Montagnese S. (2019) The Psychomotor Vigilance Task: Role in the Diagnosis of Hepatic Encephalopathy and Relationship with Driving Ability. Journal of Hepatology
2. Turco M, Cazzagon N, Franceschet I, Formentin C, Frighetto G, Giordani F, Cellini N, Mazzotta G, Costa R, Middleton B, Skene DJ, Floreani A, Montagnese S. (2018) Morning Bright Light Treatment for Sleep-Wake Disturbances in Primary Biliary Cholangitis: A Pilot Study. Frontiers in Physiology
3. Ferrazzi E, Romualdi C, Ocello M, Frighetto G, Turco M, Vigolo S, Fabris F, Angeli P, Vettore G, Costa R, Montagnese S. (2018) Changes in Accident & Emergency Visits and Return Visits in Relation to the Enforcement of Daylight Saving Time and Photoperiod. Journal of Biological Rhythms.
4. Formentin C, Garrido M, Montagnese S. (2018) Assessment and Management of Sleep Disturbance in Cirrhosis. Current Hepatology Reports.
5. Marini S, Santangeli O, Saarelainen P, Middleton B, Chowdhury N, Skene DJ, Costa R, Porkka-Heiskanen T, Montagnese S. (2017) Abnormalities in the Polysomnographic, Adenosine and Metabolic Response to Sleep Deprivation in an Animal Model of Hyperammonemia. Frontiers in Physiology
6. Turco M, Biscontin A, Corrias M, Caccin L, Bano M, Chiaromanni F, Salamanca M, Mattei D, Salvoro C, Mazzotta G, De Pittà C, Middleton B, Skene DJ, Montagnese S, Costa R. (2017) Diurnal preference, mood and the response to morning light in relation to polymorphisms in the human clock gene PER3. Scientific Reports
7. Garrido M, Saccardo D, De Rui M, Vettore E, Verardo A, Carraro P, Di Vitofrancesco N, Mani AR, Angeli P, Bolognesi M, Montagnese S. (2017) Abnormalities in the 24-hour rhythm of skin temperature in cirrhosis: Sleep-wake and general clinical implications. Liver International
8. Longato E, Garrido M, Saccardo D, Montesinos Guevara C, Mani AR, Bolognesi M, Amodio P, Facchinetti A, Sparacino G, Montagnese S. (2017) Expected accuracy of proximal and distal temperature estimated by wireless sensors, in relation to their number and position on the skin. PLoS One.
9. Cagnin A, Fragiacomo F, Camporese G, Turco M, Bussè C, Ermani M, Montagnese S. (2017) Sleep-Wake Profile in Dementia with Lewy Bodies, Alzheimer's Disease, and Normal Aging. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease
10. Garrido M, Skorucak J, Raduazzo D, Turco M, Spinelli G, Angeli P, Amodio P, Achermann P, Montagnese S. (2016) Vigilance and wake EEG architecture in simulated hyperammonaemia: a pilot study on the effects of L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate (LOLA) and caffeine. Metabolic Brain Disease
11. Turco M, Corrias M, Chiaromanni F, Bano M, Salamanca M, Caccin L, Merkel C, Amodio P, Romualdi C, De Pittà C, Costa R, Montagnese S. (2015) The self-morningness/eveningness (Self-ME): An extremely concise and totally subjective assessment of diurnal preference. Chronobiology International
12. Montagnese S, Turco M, Amodio P. (2015) Hepatic encephalopathy and sleepiness: an interesting connection? Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology
13. Montagnese S, Middleton B, Corrias M, Mani AR, Skene DJ, Morgan MY. (2015) Assessment of 6-sulfatoxymelatonin rhythms and melatonin response to light in disease states: lessons from cirrhosis. Chronobiol International
14. Casula EP, Bisiacchi PS, Corrias M, Schiff S, Merkel C, Amodio P, Montagnese S. (2015) Acute hyperammonaemia induces a sustained decrease in vigilance, which is modulated by caffeine. Metabolic Brain Disease
15. Bano M, Chiaromanni F, Corrias M, Turco M, De Rui M, Amodio P, Merkel C, Gatta A, Mazzotta G, Costa R, Montagnese S. (2014) The influence of environmental factors on sleep quality in hospitalized medical patients. Frontiers in Neurology
16. De Rui M, Middleton B, Sticca A, Gatta A, Amodio P, Skene DJ, Montagnese S. (2014) Sleep and circadian rhythms in hospitalized patients with decompensated cirrhosis: effect of light therapy. Neurochemistry Research
17. Montagnese S, De Pittà C, De Rui M, Corrias M, Turco M, Merkel C, Amodio P, Costa R, Skene DJ, Gatta A. (2014) Sleep-wake abnormalities in patients with cirrhosis. Hepatology
18. De Rui M, Schiff S, Aprile D, Angeli P, Bombonato G, Bolognesi M, Sacerdoti D, Gatta A, Merkel C, Amodio P, Montagnese S. (2013) Excessive daytime sleepiness and hepatic encephalopathy: it is worth asking. Metabolic Brain Disease
19. Montagnese S, Nsemi LM, Cazzagon N, Facchini S, Costa L, Bergasa NV, Amodio P, Floreani A. (2013) Sleep-Wake profiles in patients with primary biliary cirrhosis. Liver Transplantation
20. Bersagliere A, Raduazzo ID, Schiff S, Gatta A, Merkel C, Amodio P, Achermann P, Montagnese S. (2013) Ammonia-related changes in cerebral electrogenesis in healthy subjects and patients with cirrhosis. Clinical Neurophysiology
21. De Rui M, Gaiani S, Middleton B, Skene DJ, Schiff S, Gatta A, Merkel C, Amodio P, Montagnese S. (2011) Bright times for patients with cirrhosis and delayed sleep habits: a case report on the beneficial effect of light therapy. American Journal of Gastroenterology
22. Bersagliere A, Raduazzo ID, Nardi M, Schiff S, Gatta A, Amodio P, Achermann P, Montagnese S. (2012) Induced hyperammonemia may compromise the ability to generate restful sleep in patients with cirrhosis. Hepatology.
Current/Completed Grants (past 5 years) 19/12/17 - 31/12/19 Ogilvie Healthworld funding for the development of a video-clip on mild hepatic encephalopathy for purposes of training of general practitioners (€ 5.000)
31/01/16 - 31/01/20 Umecrine Cognition funding for the study of the electrophysiological effects of a novel anti-HE drug (€ 15.750)
2011-2015. Italian Ministry of Health grant (GR 2009-1604309) for a set of projects on: ‘Sleep-wake disturbances in Internal Medicine: the Liver Model’ (€ 325.000)
2010. Clinical Trial on the effects of LOLA and caffeine on the cognitive correlates of hyperammonaemia, Merz Pharmaceuticals GmbH (€ 25.000)
Name: Benita Middleton
Position: Senior Research Fellow
Institution: University of Surrey
Name: Debra Skene
Position: Professor of Neuroendocrinology
Institution: University of Surrey
Name: Rodolfo Costa
Position: Professor of Genetics
Institution: University of Padova
Name: Till Roenneberg
Position: Professor of Chronobiology
Institution: LMU, Munich, Germany
Name: Alireza Mani
Position: Senior Clinical Research Fellow
Institution: University College London