- Methodology / Technology
- Basic Human
- Pharmacology Human
- Sleep and Medical Disorders
- Epidemiology of Sleep
- Sleep Physiology-Neurophysiology in Human
- Biological Rhythms
- Behavioural Sleep Disorders
The Hotel–Dieu Unit “Sommeil and Vigilance”, located in the Hotel-Dieu (APHP-Paris Descartes) since 25 years and animated by Professor Damien LEGER had mainly worked on the epidemiology of sleep disorders in France and in other European and American countries. They have developed a corpus of reference data on the prevalence of insomnia among multiple countries and on the consequences of insomnia on daytime functioning, work ability and absenteeism, driving, socioeconomics and quality of life. They had also focused on the effects on occupational and environmental factors, such as the absence of light on sleep and alertness. They had also recently coordinated the HAS (Haute Autorite de Santé) recommendations on shift work and night work (2012).
VIFASOM (Vigilance Fatigue Sommeil) our University research center, Universite Paris Descartes is commonly directed by Damien LEGER and Mounir CHENNAOUI from the Defense research institute: IRBA (Institut de Recherche Biomedicale des Amees).
Our previous studies and international surveys have shown that total sleep time is a major public health marker. In the last decades total sleep time has deeply decreased in adults and adolescents. One major determinant of the reduction is occupational (work schedules and load). This reduction is associated and often correlated with an increased BMI, increased prevalence of diabetes, hypertension, accidents and psychiatric diseases. Our goal would be to more carefully observe total sleep time and sleep disorders in the general population of adults, children and specific groups of professional, shift workers, patients with chronic diseases or exposed to detrimental environment factors and patients with rare hypersomnia.
Our previous research has been and would be as well focused on better understanding the effects on sleep reduction on biological and psychological normal values in humans, based on specific sleep reduction laboratory studies in healthy volunteers.
Clinical expertise focus on several sleep disorders, mainly insomnia, sleep apnea, hypersomnia, sleepiness at the wheel, occupational medicine. More than 3000 sleep physiological recording are performed each year in the sleep center.
Technical Capabilities and areas of expertise
Selected Publications in the 5 past years:
1. Castro LS, Poyares D, Leger D, Bittencourt LRA, Tufik S. Objective prevalence of insomnia in the general population. Sleep assessed by polysomnography in a 1042 subjects representative sample of Sao Paulo, Brazil. Ann Neurol. 2013 May 30. doi: 10.1002/ana.23945.
2. Guilleminault C, Primeau M, Chiu H, Yuen KM, Leger D, Metlaine A. Sleep-disordered-breathing in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (a genetic model of obstructive sleep apnea). Chest. 2013 Aug 8. doi: 10.1378/chest.13-0174.
3. Leger D, Beck F, Richard JB, Godeau E. Total sleep time severely drops during adolescence. PLoS One. 2012; 7(10):e45204. doi: 10.1371/
4. Faraut B, Touchette E, Gamble H, Royant-Parola S, Safar ME, Varsat B, Léger D.Short sleep duration and increased risk of hypertension: a primary care medicine investigation.J Hypertens. 2012 Jul; 30(7):1354-63.
5. Ohayon MM, Mahowald MW, Dauvilliers Y, Krystal AD, Léger D.Prevalence and comorbidity of nocturnal wandering in the U.S. adult general population. Neurology. 2012 May 15; 78(20):1583-9.
6. Leger D, Roscoat Ed, Bayon V, Guignard R, Paquereau J, Beck F. Short sleep in young adults: Insomnia or sleep debt? Prevalence and clinical description of short sleep in a representative sample of 1004 young adults from France. Sleep Med. 2011 May; 12(5):454-62.
7. Leger D, Bayon V, Elbaz M, Philip P, Choudat D. Underexposure to light at work and its association to insomnia and sleepiness: a cross-sectional study of 13,296 workers of one transportation company. J Psychosom Res. 2011 Jan; 70(1):29-36
8. Leger D, Morin C, Uchiyama M, Kobashavi M, Hakimi Z, Cure S, Walsh J. Chronic insomnia. Quality of life and utility scores. Comparison with good sleepers in a cross sectional international survey. Sleep Med. 2012; 13(1):43-51.
9. Leger D, Bayon V, Laaban JP, Philip P. Impact of sleep apnea on economics. Sleep Med Rev. 2012; 16:455-62.
10. Chartier-Kastler E, Leger D, Chauveau E, Comet, Haab, Ohayon M. Insomnia, sleep parameters and quality of life of 2197 patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia. BMJ Open. 2012 May 30; 2(3).
11. Leger D, Partinen M, Hirshkowitz M, Chocroverty S, Touchette E, Hedner J. On behalf of the EQUINOX survey investigators. Characteristics of Insomnia in Primary care: EQUINOX survey of 5515 insomniacs of 10 countries. Sleep Med. 2010; 11:987-98.
12. Leger D, Partinen M, Hirshkowitz M, Chocroverty S, Hedner J. On behalf of the EQUINOX survey investigators Daytime consequences of insomnia symptoms among outpatients in primary care practice: EQUINOX international survey. Sleep Med. 2010; 11:999-1009.
13. Riemann D, Spiegelhalder K, Espie C, Pollmacher T, Leger D, Bassetti C, Van Someren E. Chronic insomnia : clinical and research challenges and agenda. Pharmacopsychiatry 2011; 44:1-14.
14. Leger D, Bayon V, Elbaz M, Philip P, Choudat D. Underexposure to light at work and its consequences on sleep and sleepiness. A cross-sectional study on 14 478 workers. J Psychosom Res. 2011 Jan; 70(1):29-36.
15. Chennaoui M, Sauvet F, Drogou C, Van Beers P, Langrume C, Guillard M, Gourby B, Bourrilhon C, Florence G, Gomez-Merino D. Effect of one night of sleep loss on changes in tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-α) levels in healthy men. Cytokine. 2011; 56(2):318-324.
16. Philip P, Chaufton C, Taillard J, Sagaspe P, Leger D, Raimondi M, Vakulin A, Capelli A. Maintenance of Wakefulness Test scores and driving performance in sleep disorder patients and controls. Int J Psychophysiol. 2013 May 28. pii: S0167-8760(13)00150-5.
17. Sagaspe P, Taillard J, Akerstedt T, Bayon V, Espie S, Chaumet G, Bioulac B, Philip P. Extended driving impairs nocturnal driving performances. PLoS One. 2008;3(10):e3493. Epub 2008 Oct 22.
18. Sauvet F, Leftheriotis G, Gomez-Merino D, Langrume C, Drogou C, Bourrilhon C, Van Beers P, Florence G, Chennaoui M. Effects of acute sleep deprivation on vascular function in healthy subjects. J Appl Physiol 2010; 108(1):68-75.
Other laboratory Members
Name: Virginie BAYON
Name: Clement BOUGARD
Name: Mounir CHENNAOUI
Name: Alice DE SANCTIS
Name: Garance DISPERSYN
Name: Catherine DROGOU
Name: Francois DUFOREZ
Name: Maxime ELBAZ
Name: Philippe EMENT
Name: Brice FARAUT
Name: Caroline GAURIAU
Name: Mathias GUILLARD
Name: Arnaud METLAINE
Name: Pascale OGRIZEK
Name: Elisabeth PREVOT
Name: Arnaud RABAT
Title: PhD MD
Name: Fabien SAUVET
Name: Pascal VAN BEERS
Name: Marie-Francoise VECCHIERINI
Name: Joelle ADRIEN
Name: Thierry GALLOPIN
Title: PhD MD
Name: Christian GUILLEMINAULT
Title: PhD MD
Name: Maurice OHAYON
Title: PhD MD
Name: Pierre PHILIP
Title: PhD MD
Name: Maria Antonia QUERA SALVA