A two bed laboratory formally established in 2005. covering the field of clinical sleep research. We perform full polysomnography with additional EEG channels to detect both sleep and eventuall epilepsy activity.
Technical Capabilities and areas of expertise
1) Nicolet one 2011, Viasys Healthcare Inc., 64 channel EEG/video/PSG.
2) Embla S4500 video/PSG
Additional Descriptors, Keywords
sleep, genetics of sleep, pharmacology of sleep, parasomnias, narcolepsy, hypersomnias, apnoea, history of sleep,
Selected Publications in the 5 past years:
1. Zoltan Szakacs, Yves Dauvilliers, Vladimir Mikhaylov, Irina Poverennova, Sergei Krylov, Slavko Jankovic, et al. Safety and efficacy of pitolisant on cataplexy in patients with narcolepsy: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurology, 2017.
2. S. Janković, D. Sokić, N. Vojvodić, A.Ristić, V. Kostić. The First Cinematic Presentation of a Possible Rhythmic Movement Disorder in a Disney Film Precedes Its Scientific Debut by 60 Years. Movement Disorders. Vol 24, No I 138-151, 2009.
3. S. Janković, D. Sokić, N. Vojvodić, A.Ristić, V. Kostić. Multiple Rhythmic Movement Disorders in a Teenage Boy with Excellent Response to Clonazepam. Movement Disorders. Vol: 23, Issue 5, p: 767-768. 2008.
4. Jankovic SM, Sokic DV, Vojvodic NM, Ristic A. The First Film Presentation of REM Sleep Behavior Disorder Precedes Its Scientific Debut By 35 Years. Serbian Archives. (9-10): 466-469, 2006.
5. S M Jankovic, D V. Sokic, N M. Vojvodic, A J. Ristic, V S. Kostic, Lj M. Zovic. Rhythmic head movements in a horse reminiscent to human head banging rhythmic movement disorder. Swiss Archives of Neurology and Psychiatry, 161(4), 2010.
6. Slavko Janković, Dragoslav Sokić, Nikola Vojvodić, Aleksandar Ristić, Masa Kovacević, Vladimir Kostić. Two original articles in the field of sleep medicine published in 1932 and 1934 by the authors from the Faculty of Medicine in Belgrade (on the occasion of the 90th anniversary of neuropsychiatric service in Serbia). Military-medical and pharmaceutical review 12/2013; 70(12)
7. D.V. Sokic, S.M. Jankovic, N.M. Vojvodic, A.J. Ristic Etiology of a short-term mortality in the group of 750 patients with 920 episodes of status epilepticus within a period of 10 years (1988–1997). Seizure. 18: 215–219, 2009.
8. S M Janković, D V Sokić, Z M Lević, V Susić, J Drulović, N Stojsavljević, R Veskov, J Ivanus. Serbian Archives 01/1996; 124(7-8):217-21.
9. Jankovic, S.; Sokic, D.; Vojvodic, N.; Ristic, A.; Kovacevic, M.; Kostic, V. A case of catathrenia – definitely a sleep-related breathing disorder. J Sleep Res, 2012 21 ():364-365
10. Janković S, Kostić V, Susić V. REM sleep parasomnias and degenerative diseases of the central nervous system. Serbian Academy of Sciences, 2007;(49):49-60.
11. S Janković. Pathophysiology of NREM parasomnias. CDXII, Serbian Academy of Sciences, book 50, p. 47-71, 2009.
12. S Janković. Evolutionary approach to the interpretation of sleep. CDVII, Serbian Academy of Sciences, book 51, p. 47-71, 2011.
13. S Janković, D Sokić, N Vojvodić, A Ristić, I Petrović. Different types of epilepsy and the structure of sleep in patients with and without antiepileptic therapy. Epilepsia, vol 46, Paris, 2005.
14. Jankovic S, Sokic D, Vojvodic N. Time Period to Diagnose Narcolepsy in a Population of Serbia.. 35th International Danube Symposium for Neurological Sciences & Continuing Education. Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro, Book of Abstracts, 2003:153.
15. S Janković, Z Lević, V Šušić. Narcolepsy and neurotransmitters. Neurologija, suppl. 1, vol. 38, 1989.
16. S Janković. Latency of the onset of penicillin epileptiform discharges Is not influenced by the paradoxical sleep deprivation. Neuroscience, suppl to vol. 22, Pergamon Press, 1987.
17. S Janković, R Veskov, V Šušić, J Ivanuš, Z Lević. Sleep and REM sleep deprivation in relation to penicillin epilepsy in cats. Iugoslav. Physiol. Pharmacol. Acta, 21(4): 105-106, 1985.
18. S Janković, V. Šušić, D. Sokić, Z. Lević. Life and work of Dr Jean baptiste Edouard Gelineau. Sbian Archives, (124) 7-8; 1996.
19. S Janković, R Veskov, J Ivanuš, Lj Rakić and Z Lević. Wakefulness-sleep cycle and penicillin induced discharges. Electroenceph Clin Neurophysiol, 61(3), 1985.
Key Publications of the Laboratory:
V Kostić, V Šušić, N Sternić, Z Marinković, S Janković. Reduced rapid eye movement sleep latency in patients with Parkinson’s disease. J Neurol, 236: 421-423, 1989.
Current/Completed Grants (past 5 years):
The World Association of Sleep Medicine 2015 World Sleep Day Distinguished Certificate – Slavko Jankovic
Other laboratory Members
Title: PhD MD
Name: Slavko M. Jankovic
Title: PhD MD
Name: Dragoslav V. Sokic
Position: professor of neurology
Title: PhD MD
Name: Nikola M. Vojvodic
Position: associate professor
Title: PhD MD
Name: Aleksandar J. Ristic
Position: assistant professor
Name: Masa Kovacevic
Position: clinical doctor
Name: Vera Zecevic