- Sleep and Medical Disorders
- Epidemiology of Sleep
- Behavioural Sleep Disorders
- Neurological Sleep Disorders
The Sleep Medicine and Research Center is a specialized center that provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment of the common sleep disorders in our community.
Located at King Abdulaziz University Hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the center was initially founded in May 2011 and was expanded following its success in April 2013.
SMRC has a team including a sleep physician, technologists, nurses and researchers, as well as complete access to all medical expertise and facilities at King Abdulaziz University Hospital when needed. This ensures that all our patients get comprehensive and high quality care.
In addition to its diagnostic and therapeutic services, our center takes an active role in educating the public about sleep disorders through seminars and educational activities. Moreover, the center trains physicians and technologists in sleep medicine and has ongoing local research projects. Examples of ongoing research includes OSA in patents with chronic renal failure, rheumatoid, coronary artery disease, and stroke.
We at the SMRC strongly believe in patient education and therefore have devised educational videos and leaflets to be given out to the public. Furthermore, SMRC organised a public awareness campaign in the city of Jeddah.
We hope that this accreditation serves as a bridge between our healthcare world and the people we wish to serve and share our latest news with.
Additional Descriptors, Keywords
Obstructive Sleep Apnea
Key Publications of the Laboratory:1. Sleep insufficiency, poor sleep, and daytime sleepiness and correlated factors in adolescents of Saudi Arabia. Roah A. Merdad, Leena A. Merdad.
2. Sleep habits in adolescents of Saudi Arabia; distinct patterns and extreme sleep schedules. Merdad RA, Merdad LA, Nassif RA, El-Derwi D, Siraj O. Wali*. Sleep Med. 2014; 15(11):1370-8.
3. The frequency of allergic rhinitis among obstructive sleep apnea patients: a hospital-based, cross-sectional study. Gadi GU, Albar MH, Fida AR, Sendi KS, Alnoury KI, Siraj O. Wali*. JKAU Med Sci 2014; 21(3): 61-74.
4. Obstructive Sleep Apnea among Saudi patients with Coronary Artery Disease in Saudi Arabia. Siraj O. Wali*; Muath A. Alsharif; Mohammed H. Albanji; Murad S. Baabbad; Haneen M. Almotary; Nabil Alama; Layth Mimish; Adil Alsulami; Muntasir M. Abdelaziz. Journal of the Saudi Heart Association. 2015;27:227-233
5. Prevalence and predictors of habitual snoring in a sample of Saudi
middle-aged adults. Siraj O. Wali* and Abalkhail B. Saudi Med J. 2015; 36 (8): 920-927.
6. Obstructive sleep apnea among Saudis with Chronic renal failure on hemodialysis. Siraj O. Wali*, AlKhouli A, Howladar M, Ahmad I, Alshuhaib S, Alghamdi S and Krayem A. Annals of Thoracic Medicine. 2015;10(4):263-8
7. Prevalence of obesity in the middle aged Saudi population. Siraj O.Wali*, Fatin Al-sayes. Journal of Science. 2015; 5(7): 550-554.
8. Sleep quantity, quality, and insomnia symptoms of medical students during clinical years. Mohammed A. Alsaggaf, Siraj O. Wali*, Roah A. Merdad, Leena A. Merdad. Saudi Medical Journal. 2016; 37(2): 173 –182.
9. Prevalence of atopic markers and allergic rhinitis among obstructive sleep apnea patients. Ghada Qadi, Siraj O. Wali*, Emad Koshak, Mohammed Albar, Abdulkarim Fida, Muntasir Abdulaziz. J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2017 Mar.;7(1):37-44
10. Metabolic Phenotype of Obesity in a Saudi Population. Ahmad MS, Alsaleh M, Kimhofer T, Ahmad S, Jamal W, Siraj O. Wali, Nicholson JK, Damanhouri ZA, Holmes E. J Proteome Res. 2017 Feb. 3;16(2):635-644
11. Prevalence and risk factors of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in a Saudi Arabian population. Siraj O. Wali*, Abalkhail B, Krayem A. Ann Thorac Med 2017;12:88-94
12. The prevalence of obstructive sleep apnea in adult patients with sickle cell disease. Al-Saqqaf R, Merdad R, Siraj O. Wali*, Al-Sayes F, Mukharesh L, Batawi S, Batwai G, Ageel M, Hamid M, Alama N, AlQassas I. J Appl Hematol 2017;8:16-22
13. Sleepiness in Adolescents. Merdad R, Akil H, Siraj O. Wali*. Sleep Medicine Clinics 2017; 12(3): 415-428.
14. The Saudi Thoracic Society guidelines for diagnosis and management of noncystic fibrosis bronchiectasis. Al-Jahdali, H., Alshimemeri, A., Mobeireek, A., Albanna, A. S., Al Shirawi, N. N., Siraj O. Wali, Aliberti, S. Annals of Thoracic Medicine; 2017; 12(3), 135–161
15. Restless Legs Syndrome and Sleep Quality among Adult Sickle Cell Disease Patients. Siraj O. Wali*, Ibrahim AlQassas, Roah Merdad, Rajaa Alsaggaf, Fatin Al-sayes. Sleep and Breath. In Press.
16. Prevalence of Depression, Anxiety, and Stress among Obstructive Sleep Apnea Patients in Saudi Arabia. Sundus Baaisharah, Mohamed Nabil Alamaa, Khalid Aljammali, Badur Bafakeer, Siraj O. Wali*, Haitham Altaib, and Ahmad Bamaquos. Saudi Medical Journal. In Press.
17. Prevalence of Glaucoma in Patients with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.Nahlah Bagabas, Wafaa Ghazali, Mariam Mukhtar, Ibrahim AlQassas,Roah Merdad, Ashfaque Maniyar, Siraj O. Wali*, Halima Afreen,Osama Badeeb. Sleep Med Disord. 2017; 4(2): 1084.
18. Association between Vitamin D Level and Restless Legs Syndrome: ACase Control Study. Siraj O. Wali*, Samah Alsafadi, Bahaa Abalkhail,Iman Ramadan, Badr Abulhamail, Moaiyyad Kousa, Reem Alshamrani,Hanan Faruqui, Abdulaziz Faruqui, Mohamed Alama, Mohamed Hamed.Accepted for Publication. Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine.
19. Risk Factors of Primary and Secondary Restless Legs Syndrome amonga Middle-Aged Population in Saudi Arabia: A Community-Based Study.Samah Alsafadi, Bahaa Abaalkhail, Siraj O. Wali*, Khaled Aljammali,Bedor Alotaiby, Ibrahim Zakaria, Hanadi Sabbahi. Accepted forPublication. Annals of Thoracic Medicine.
20. Sleep Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Mohammad Mustafa, YasserBawazeer, Leena Merdad, Siraj O. Wali*, Suzan Attar, Nazmia Salem,
Omar Fathaldeen, Sami Bahlas, Faris Alhejaili, Ahmed Jan. and FatimaJadu, Ahmed Johany. Under review. Annals of Thoracic Medicine.
Name: Ayman Krayem
Position: Director of Sleep Center at His Institution
Institution: King Abdulaziz Medical City, National Guard, Western Region, Saudi Arabia