Sleep Science Friday: Assembly of National Sleep Societies – 2021 Annual Meeting
7 May 2021
The Assembly of National Sleep Societies (ANSS) is a grouping of European sleep societies with the common goal to develop sleep medicine and sleep research. It is a formal body of the ESRS and represents the associate members from different European sleep societies. 31 European national sleep societies are currently members of the ANSS representing over 7,100 associate members.
The Annual Meeting of the ANSS in the European Sleep Research Society will take place Saturday, 8-May 2021 virtually, starting at 13:00h CET.
There is a very robust programme planned, including an address from ESRS President Dr. Pierre-Hervé Luppi, who will provide an overview of ESRS activities, upcoming events and changes within the society and facilitate a discussion on future collaborations with the Presidents of the 31 National Sleep Societies.
Special Lecture by Invited Speaker Prof. Dr. Winfried Randerath
In addition to this, invited speaker Prof. Dr. Winfried Randerath will be giving a lecture on Sleep Labs in times of COVID. He is a leading physician in allergology, pulmonary and bronchial medicine and sleep medicine in Germany. He draws his profound knowledge from extensive specialisation in the fields of internal medicine, somnology and environmental medicine.
Since 2003, Prof. Dr. Randerath has been the Head Physician and Medical Director of the Bethanien Hospital, Clinic for Pneumology and Allergology. He is also Director of the Scientific Institute for Pneumology at the University of Witten/Herdecke. He is a member of numerous professional societies and has contributed to around 200 scientific publications and technical papers.
The meeting will also include a lecture on Sleep and Paediatrics and the Telemedicine questionnaire report by ANSS Advisory committee members Dr. Barbara Stražišar and Dr. Oana Deleanu respectively, among several other sessions from sponsors and the extended executive committee.
The ANSS collaborates with the ESRS as the relay between the ESRS and the national sleep societies. ANSS annual meetings provide a unique platform for sharing and implementing integrative ideas, especially related to the aim of further developing sleep medicine in Europe at an international level.
The ESRS is looking forward to this European meeting, and anticipates a fruitful exchange of ideas on potential future collaborations.
Recent publications from ESRS members:
- Gnoni et al. (2021). Cyclic alternating pattern in obstructive sleep apnea: A preliminary study. J Sleep Res.
- Zreik et al. (2021). Maternal sleep related cognitions and child sleep quality: a cross-cultural comparison between the Arab and Jewish societies in Israel. Sleep Med.
- Stefani et al. (2021). Nelotanserin as symptomatic treatment for rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder: a double-blind randomized study using video analysis in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies or Parkinson’s disease dementia. Sleep Med.
- Baillieul et al. (2021). A randomized sham-controlled trial on the effect of continuous positive airway pressure treatment on gait control in severe obstructive sleep apnea patients. Sci Rep.
- de Feijter et al. (2021). The longitudinal association of actigraphy-estimated sleep with grief in middle-aged and elderly persons. J Psychiatr Res.
- Romeo et al. (2021). Application of the Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children (SDSC) in infants and toddlers (6-36 months). Sleep Med.
- Trimmel et al. (2021). The (mis)perception of sleep: factors influencing the discrepancy between self-reported and objective sleep parameters. J Clin Sleep Med.
- Milinski et al. (2021). Waking experience modulates sleep need in mice. BMC Biol.
Just published an article? Want your research to be featured? Saw something interesting? Contact us at ESRS
Sleep Medicine Committee – Call for New Effective Members
The Sleep Medicine Committee (SMC) has extended its deadline for its Call for New Effective Members until 31 May 2021.
There are several projects that require active and dynamic volunteers as effective members – We Need You! This is your opportunity to shape the future of Sleep Medicine in Europe. To get further information or to apply if you’re already interested, please see more details here.
Application Deadline Approaching – 3rd Sleep Science School
Application is open until 31 May 2021 for the third ESRS Sleep Science School, 26 September to 1 October LIVE at the CNRS Villa Clythia site in the city of Frejus at the Mediterranean Sea (South France).
This year’s, the focus will be on The Functions of Sleep and will be a full week of in-depth lectures & presentations and interactive workshop sessions led by a faculty of international sleep experts. For more information on who can apply and how to apply – here are additional application details.