The ESADA network – where are going?
Jan Hedner, Gothenburg, presented the most recent developments for the ESADA. The inclusion of data into the database continues on a very stable level, more than 25 centers are actively reporting and close to 25 000 patients generating >35 000 visits have been registered so far. More centers are specifically focusing on follow-ups. The new centers in Mainz (D), Porto (P), Athens (GR), and Istanbul (TR) are now actively including new patients.
Upcoming topics and publications
- Change in BMI with CPAP treatment (in revision)
- Change of kidney function with PAP treatment (in revision)
- Lipid profile in patients with OSA (in revision)
- Glycemic control in morbidely obese OSA patients (submitted)
- OSA and Asthma (Manuscript)
- Use of the Clinical Global Impression Scale in patients with OSA (Manuscript)
- Regional difference in OSA phenotypes (Manuscript)
- Cancer prevalence in OSA patients (Manuscript)
Main focus: A large, controlled follow up study within the ESADA cohort (responsible coordinator Silke Ryan, Dublin, Ireland) is recruiting with high inclusion rate (>4000).
The ESADA network aims to submit 4 abstracts each to the ERS and ESRS meetings.
A new ESADA grant opportunity for early career researchers within the ESADA network has been established.
Short Scientific missions within the ESADA network
- Marijke Diltjens (ERS stipendiate 2015)
- Ozen Bazoglu, Izmir, June 2016
- Canan Gunduz, Izmir, January 2017
- Carolina Lombardi, Milano, Q 3 2018
ESADA Scientific Wokshops
The first ESADA Scientific Workshop was held in June 15-18 2017 in Heraklion, Greece. A number of projects evolved from this workshop: OSA and Cancer, Mild OSA, Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in OSA. This workshop was very successful and sparked a lot of new activities in the ESADA network. Similar activities are planned for 2018.
ESADA continued support from the ERS – CRC grant
The European Respiratory Society (ERS) provided an important grant for the ESADA as part of the initiative to support pan-European ”Clinical Research Collaborations (CRC)” from 2015 onwards. This grant was prolonged for the upcoming 3 years.
ESADA Group Meeting 2019
Daniel Roisman and his team will host the ESADA meeting in Paris in 2019.
Ludger Grote on behalf of the ESADA network