Call for Abstracts
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS - SLEEP EUROPE 2024
The success of Sleep Europe 2024 in Seville, Spain will again strongly be influenced by the abstract topics. Our objective is to ensure comprehensive representation across various sleep-related domains spanning basic and clinical sleep science. With the call for abstracts, all members of the European Sleep Research Society (ESRS) are invited to contribute to the programme by submitting an abstract for the 27th Congress of the ESRS.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
2 APRIL 2024, 23:59 CET
Abstract topics and submission guidelines coming soon.
The ESRS is pleased to invite you to submit abstracts for consideration and possible presentation at Sleep Europe 2024 to be held in Seville, Spain, 24 – 27 September 2024. All abstracts must be prepared according to the below guidelines. Please read them carefully.
Guidelines for preparation and submission of abstracts
- Abstract submission opening: Monday, 22 January 2024
- Abstracts may only be submitted online.
- Abstracts must be submitted and presented in English. Please use UK English spelling.
- Your abstract should have a short, specific title not exceeding 25 words.
- The abstract text may not be longer than 350 words excluding disclosures. Following structure is required:
- Introduction should address the background and goals of the study. The methods should be informative, the results must include primary research results including sample size and statistical analyses; if the sample size of the dataset is not provided, the abstract will not be accepted except for case study; the conclusion should be supported by data (avoid evasive statements like “the findings will be discussed”).
- Disclosures of potential conflict of interest by all authors and source of funding are mandatory. Each listed author should prepare a one-sentence statement to this effect. Please list all relevant disclosures for years 2023 and 2024.
- Case studies may be submitted for consideration only if they contain new findings/information and extensive evaluation of the case. (Please tick the appropriate box during the submission if you submit a case study).
- All abbreviations must be defined at first appearance in the abstract text. Do not define or use abbreviations in the title.
- Tables, charts or other graphics may not be included and will be deleted by the editors.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must register and attend the congress in person.
- Authors should indicate their presentation type preference:
- Poster presentation only
- Oral and poster presentation
- It is possible to submit an encore abstract. When considering encore abstracts, the authors should decide whether it is most appropriate to submit identical abstracts to multiple conferences or whether it is better to emphasize different aspects of a trial.
- A selected number of abstracts for each scientific track (see below) will be accepted for oral presentation based on their scientific merits. These abstracts will be also presented as a poster. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to decide on the final allocation and presentation method.
- Poster presenters are expected to stand by their poster during their assigned poster session.
- If your abstract is accepted as an oral presentation you must also be available to give a short talk during the session when your presentation is scheduled.
Please make sure to state your correct e-mail address. After having submitted your abstract, you will receive a confirmation by e-mail. If you do not receive a confirmation by e-mail please contact us via email@example.com.
Corrections to abstracts can only be made up to the deadline of Tuesday, 2 April 2024, 23:59 CET
Abstract Tracks and Topics
Authors are required to suggest a track and a topic under which they wish their abstract to be reviewed and presented. The Scientific Committee reserves the right to decide on the final track and topic allocation.
- Mental Health
- Public Health
- Basic Animal
- Basic Human
- Other (please specify)
Basic Sleep Science Topics
- Pharmacology and biochemistry
- Cell and molecular biology and genetics
- Ontogeny and development
- Phylogenetic and evolutionary studies
- Learning, memory and cognition
- Sleep deprivation
- Instrumentation and methodology
- Computation and modelling
Clinical Sleep Science Topics
- Sleep disorders – Breathing
- Sleep disorders – Circadian rhythms
- Sleep disorders – Insomnia
- Sleep disorders – Parasomnias
- Sleep disorders – Movement disorders
- Sleep disorders – Hypersomnia
- Neurological disorders and sleep
- Medical disorders and sleep
- Psychiatric and behavioural disorders and sleep
- Sleep disorders and gender
- Sleep disorders and aging
- Instrumentation and methodology
- Healthcare services and education
- Public health and environmental effects
Each abstract will be reviewed by a panel of external experts and the final selection will be made by the Scientific Committee. Notification of acceptance or rejection of submitted abstracts will be sent to the corresponding authors via email in June 2024. Full instructions concerning preparation and presentation will be included in the notification.
All accepted abstracts will be published in the Journal of Sleep Research online, as well as on the congress website 2 weeks prior to the congress (7 September 2024).
A limited number of travel grants will support attendees requiring financial assistance, particularly individuals at the early stages of their career. We also have a limited number of grants to support sustainable travel. These will support successful authors to choose more sustainable forms of travel to the congress – for example train travel. Successful applicants will be asked to provide evidence of their travel on receipt of the grant/after booking travel.
Only presenting authors of accepted abstracts who are not being sponsored by any other funding sources are eligible for travel grants. To apply, please tick the relevant box on the online abstract submission system and upload an application consisting of a short curriculum vitae with your date of birth, affiliation, current position or course where you are enrolled, list of publications, including conference abstracts, and signed declaration that you are not being sponsored by any other funding sources. The document should be submitted as pdf file (size limit 1 MB). Incomplete or late (after abstract submission deadline) applications will not be considered. In case of technical difficulties with uploading your application please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The outcome of application will be announced in June 2024, after notification of abstract acceptance.
Early Career Scientists’ Symposium
The ESRS will provide a special platform for the presentations of excellent work of early career scientists, as defined above. Please upload an application consisting of shout curriculum vitae with your age, affiliation, position, publication list, congress participation, and certification of enrolment in a PhD or master programme (if appropriate).
If you have questions regarding abstracts or need assistance, please contact the abstract team at:
When contacting the abstract team please refer to the name of the congress (Sleep Europe).
SLEEP EUROPE 2022 WELCOMES LATE BREAKING ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS
The ESRS is pleased to invite you to submit abstracts for consideration and possible presentation at Sleep Europe 2022 to be held in Athens, Greece, 27 – 30 September 2022.
Late Breaking abstracts should contain data or relevant information that was not yet known or available by the normal submission deadline. Please note, the late breaking submission period is intentionally long to accommodate summer vacations. There will NOT be an extension to this deadline.
All accepted Sleep Europe 2022 abstracts were published in the December 2022 issue of the JSR.
Poster Printing Service Available
Sleep Europe 2022 is pleased to make poster printing available to you through our supplier Proelectro.
Your poster will be professionally printed, and you will be able to pick it up from the poster desk at the poster area during the congress. Printing, packing and delivery to the congress venue will cost EUR 50 + 24% VAT.
Please note the deadline Monday, 19 September 2022 (17:00 CEST) to submit the poster file for printing.
Here are the details:
Step 1: Prepare your poster in a ready to print file as PDF or JPEG, W 80 × H 120 cm (portrait) according to the paper poster instruction.
Step 2: Send the file to email@example.com. Please state your name and poster number in the email.
Step 3: Pick up your poster onsite at the poster desk.
For further questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
16 AUGUST 2022, 23:59h CEST
Abstracts received after this deadline will not be accepted.