Two-Week Training Grant
Next Application Deadline: 31 January 2024
The ESRS two-week training grant enables members of the ESRS in the early stages of their careers in sleep research or sleep medicine to visit a host institution in a European country other than their own to learn a skill or procedure not available at their home institution. The training should benefit the home institution when the successful applicant returns there.
A maximum amount of 1.400 EUR will be awarded.
A maximum of one grant per year will be financed.
- Training will be pursued in an experienced laboratory belonging to the ESRS Network of Sleep Research Laboratories.
- The grant sum awarded by the ESRS should cover travel and accommodation costs within Europe and provide enough money to live on during the 2-week period.
- Candidates must have an agreement with the host institution where their Fellowship will be carried out at time of application.
- Candidates must have adequate fluency in a language that permits effective communication at the host institution.
- Candidates must return to their home institution to apply the newly acquired research skills, or to continue to develop their research on completion of their visit.
- Candidates are responsible for identifying a skill or procedure at the host institution as well as a suitable supervisor. The skill or procedure needs to be transferrable to their home institution.
- The duration of the Fellowship may not be reduced or split.
- The Fellowship must be carried out on a full-time basis.
- The visit must commence after the funding decision date, allowing for sufficient time to complete travel, visa, and passport and housing formalities. The visit must be started within 1 year from notification of a successful grant application.
- All candidates must be members of the ESRS at the time of application.
- Candidates should be employed in sleep research or sleep medicine training at the time of application.
- There is no upper age limit for eligibility; however, preference will be given to candidates who are in the early stages of their career.
- Funding is open to all nationalities and for European and non-European based candidates.
- Supporting statement on the purpose of the visit, the transferable skill or procedure to be acquired and how this will enhance the applicant’s training and the host institution, whether it is in clinical sleep medicine or in a specific field of sleep research.
- Candidate’s learning path
- Work plan description (max. one page)
- Home supervisor’s training background and CV (max. one page)
- Host supervisor’s training background and CV (max. one page)
- Breakdown of travel, accommodation and projected subsistence costs at host institution.
- Candidate’s CV
- Candidate’s ID photo
- Candidate’s passport or ID
- Candidate’s highest degree
- On completion of the visit, the candidate will be required to write a summary report of the visit (~1000 words) to be forwarded to the ESRS executive committee.
Two-Week Training Grant Recipients
- Claudia Picard-Deland – Montreal, Canada
Hosting Laboratory: Molecular Mind Laboratory, IMT School for Advanced Studies Lucca, Italy
- Leonie Balter – Stockholm, Sweden
Hosting Laboratory: Institute for Neuroscience, Netherlands